Why "Magellan's Ship"?

Why “Magellan’s Ship”?

Magellan explored many islands without opposition. The theory is that the natives did not attack Magellan as one would have expected them to do upon the arrival of his big ships with a bunch of strange looking creatures on them.

Why? The natives did not know what they were looking at – they had absolutely no point of reference. In fact, they were so taken by what they saw, they laid down their spears and brought their canoes ashore. Watching the big ship with huge billowing sales was so far from any experience they had previously had, that they were in awe, welcoming Magellan and his crew, and treating them like Gods.

It is with this “awe” that I chose to view my future. Join me on my journey… It’s going to be amazing!


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I Like Dirt

I had my hands in the dirt the other day transplanting some mint plants into the pond planters on the deck and began to think about how much people can be like plants and flowers in ones life...


While at Lowe's I found some trailing ground cover plants to put along the edges of the planter boxes and they looked awful - over-watered and not enough sunlight. I knew with a little tender care they would flourish when given the right environment. Isn't that like some people that come into our lives? They are emotionally starved, and scarred and just need to be listened to and loved on for awhile and then as they become healthy and beautiful blossoms appear.


My friend, Cindy, gave me a catmint plant to add to my patio planters for the cats to enjoy. It was big enough to break apart and make three separate plantings. Within a day, Ceviche, the Manx, found the plant and she devoured its leaves, and then laid, rolled and rubbed on the plant for the next 20 minutes! It was comedy in action! She could NOT get enough! I think there are people in our lives who are like that. You know, those people who just makes you feel good to be around? The ones that you enjoy so much, even if you just met them? The welcoming laughter that comes from these people is certainly good for the soul.


Earlier this season, in an overgrown garden bed beside the driveway, the most gorgeous fire-orange poppy grew up. It's brilliant color burst through the tall grasses making it stand out. Poppy's are my favorite flower, so it caught my attention right away. I love the way that they just keep coming back, year after year. They don't need an invitation. The poppy just wants to bloom regardless of what their soil conditions are, or where they are planted. Don't you know someone in your life that is like that? That person who is just a constant in your life as seasons come and seasons go, even when not much attention is given to nurturing the relationship? That person who just bursts forth with the crazy color of life wherever they are? I have several wonderful people in my life like that...


And then there are the wildflowers that adorn the grasses of the hillsides, trails and any crevice they can find. Beautiful eye-candy planted by the hand of the Creator; seemingly randomly planted, yet perfectly placed - I think resembles how some people come into your life. You come around the corner on the trail and beside the path there is a beautiful Indian Paintbrush dancing in the gentle breeze... Here arrives a new friend awaiting to meet you, or an old friend ready to get re-acquainted again. It always seems to happen at that time just when you needed them, or maybe just when they needed to see you. Somehow, what we think are random encounters is actually a divinely orchestrated dance among the wildflowers of life!


I have to say I like dirt. I love the smell, the feel, the texture, and the warmth of the soil. And, I love the people that are planted in the soil of my life... They are the unique and beautiful flowers that give my life great joy!


It's planting time! So, let's get dirty! Today is a good day to appreciate a new or old flower in your life!


Bloom On,
Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment