Why "Magellan's Ship"?

Why “Magellan’s Ship”?

Magellan explored many islands without opposition. The theory is that the natives did not attack Magellan as one would have expected them to do upon the arrival of his big ships with a bunch of strange looking creatures on them.

Why? The natives did not know what they were looking at – they had absolutely no point of reference. In fact, they were so taken by what they saw, they laid down their spears and brought their canoes ashore. Watching the big ship with huge billowing sales was so far from any experience they had previously had, that they were in awe, welcoming Magellan and his crew, and treating them like Gods.

It is with this “awe” that I chose to view my future. Join me on my journey… It’s going to be amazing!


Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let's Play

Our bodies were made to run and play. As a child,  I remember driving over to see my grandma who lived on Whidbey island, and once on the island, my mom would pull over so I could climb the little hills on the side of the road.  The exhilaration of reaching the summit, which in the eyes of a child was so high, would fill my chest with joy that would giggle out as I waved to Mom from the top. Then  I would race full speed back down the hill back to the car.

When I was young, my world was transformed into the most extraordinary playground.  I was a wild mustang stampeding up the stream behind my home, splashing water and mud.  The forest filled with alders and evergreens was actually a jungle as I hung upside down from the limbs of the trees, the vines ready to grab and swing to the next tree.  I would swim with the dolphins in Martha Lake.  Riding my bike down the street as fast as I could go, arms spread wide and eyes closed, I was flying like the birds overhead.
 
Scripture says for one to have the faith of a child…. A child embraces the moment they are present in, being only concerned about the “here and now”.  This reality has re-awakened within my spirit.  Somewhere along the path of my life, yesterdays troubles and frustrations for my tomorrows clouded my mind and I lost the love for the “here and now”.  Of course there are moments of grown-up responsibilities, but they should never overshadow the power of laughter and love for every moment in time…

Opportunities to play can be found everywhere!  From within the confines of our car we crank up the music and dance in our seats; or sing at the top of our lungs.  Outrageously flirting with each other and taking crazy pictures we drive without set destinations, exploring the map for the next best place to stop.

On the trip down to Arizona we found ourselves in Cannon Beach with the ocean beckoning… so we hoped out of the car and kicked off the shoes and headed for the water.




One of the best games to play on the road is “Where will we eat dinner?”  There are many distinctively unique restaurants found off the beaten path.  It takes a little patience, and sometimes persistence, to locate the “right” one… but the adventure of driving the back roads, talking to the locals, and finally finding it always proves extremely pleasing to the palate. 






The Amazing Crab Dinner 
at Local Ocean
After chatting with the clerk in the co-op and a lady on the street  we found Local Oceans right on the waterfront of the Pacific Ocean, in Newport, Oregon.  The restaurant, located across the street from the marina, offered fresh seafood and crab.  The Captain of the vessel who caught our dinner sat at the table next to us.  

In Ukiah, California, we happened upon Ukiah Brewing Company, a local brew pub who offered a fully organic menu and local brewed spirits.  The food was a wonderful treat and the band that played a funky fun accompaniment of Gaelic persuasion. 

“The walls are getting taller, and his world is getting smaller” is a line from one of Jack Johnson’s songs.  Part of the Grand Adventure is the breaking down of these proverbial walls that crippled the child within.  It is time to let the faith filled playful spirit run free… for the imagination to find her way back into the garden of life and open wide the gates to a smorgasbord of enchantment.  My inner child is awake and ready to climb every new hill, run through the streams, and hang upside down from every branch I can find. 

Now is the time to embrace every moment.  The child within is beckoning, “Come and play!"  What will you do today?


-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment