Why "Magellan's Ship"?

Why “Magellan’s Ship”?

Magellan explored many islands without opposition. The theory is that the natives did not attack Magellan as one would have expected them to do upon the arrival of his big ships with a bunch of strange looking creatures on them.

Why? The natives did not know what they were looking at – they had absolutely no point of reference. In fact, they were so taken by what they saw, they laid down their spears and brought their canoes ashore. Watching the big ship with huge billowing sales was so far from any experience they had previously had, that they were in awe, welcoming Magellan and his crew, and treating them like Gods.

It is with this “awe” that I chose to view my future. Join me on my journey… It’s going to be amazing!


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hitting the Brakes

I was reading this morning about love...

How all human actions are motived at their deepest level by one of two emotions - fear or love.  These are the only two words in the language of the soul.  Every human thought and action is based in either love or fear. Every single free choice that is made arises out of one of these two possible thoughts:  a thought of love or a thought of fear.  Where fear contracts, closes down, draws in, runs, hides, hoards, harms; love expands, opens up, sends out, stays, reveals, shares and heals.  Our free choice is truly which one will I select...

... and so in that moment that you pledge your highest love, you are greeted by your greatest fear. Our culture exhibits conditional love in almost all of our relationships, which is so far from True Love as God intended it to be. Participating in conditional love relationships can cause damage to the heart, mind and soul... but True Love brings healing and hope.  I believe in this love.  I believe this True Love is available here on Earth.  I believe this is part of the Magellan's Ship vision I was given.

While on the road, we were met with a situation that immediately made me want to chose fear.  And when I say immediately, I mean if I had not been locked within the confines of the car, traveling 50 mph down the highway, I would have walked away from Peter and the love he extends to me.  I literally "hit the [emotional] brakes!" The "What" of what happened is not as important as my reaction to "It".  And that is exactly what I did... I reacted based on my past experiences when in the present neither of us had done anything wrong.  I chose fear...  

I stared that demon of my soul in the eyes for some long hard moments... almost 30 to be exact... before he was banished.  The experience left me physically and emotionally drained and my heart raw... but in the end, I chose love - to extend love and to accept love.  I chose to believe.

But why did I chose fear when the evidence of love was so palpable?

Because I had faced that demon in the past and he had won.  But not this time!

It is easy to believe the lie of conditional love:  that you are only worthy of love based on the way you perform or act according to some set expectation or circumstance. And some of these lies have been woven into the fabric of Who We Are from the time we were children... but that is NOT who we really are.  We are created in the image of God:  We are the most magnificent, most remarkable and most splendid beings He has ever created.


And believing that each of us are divine and worthy of love gives me courage to fight off those demons for myself and others. There is such freedom in True Love. Believing in the depth of this True Love leads one to a place where there will never be a need to respond in fear again...


I choose to drive without brakes now.

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment