Why "Magellan's Ship"?

Why “Magellan’s Ship”?

Magellan explored many islands without opposition. The theory is that the natives did not attack Magellan as one would have expected them to do upon the arrival of his big ships with a bunch of strange looking creatures on them.

Why? The natives did not know what they were looking at – they had absolutely no point of reference. In fact, they were so taken by what they saw, they laid down their spears and brought their canoes ashore. Watching the big ship with huge billowing sales was so far from any experience they had previously had, that they were in awe, welcoming Magellan and his crew, and treating them like Gods.

It is with this “awe” that I chose to view my future. Join me on my journey… It’s going to be amazing!


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Why Ask Why - Part II

You know what I find quite interesting? Human beings and their reactions, thoughts and choices. If you read my last blog "Why Ask Why?" then I am sure you were questioning my thought processes and wondered "What in the heck is she talkin' about!" But the beauty of what I wrote was just that... We all have thoughts that we probably never share with other people, let alone question why we are thinking them. I just happened to share them with you...


For me, and again these are my personal beliefs, my reaction to what I was reading about open marriages and/or relationships was so strongly opposed to it that I began to wonder WHAT really is the foundation for my choices and belief system? I asked myself "why". 


I received several responses to my blog that were dripping with judgment, false accusations and an ugliness that disgusts and sickens me. While I have no regrets for my thoughts or what I wrote in my previous post, I do have to say that I did not intend it to be sacrilegious in any way. For those of you who are questioning my faith, I believe in God and in His mighty power. (Just look at my grandson!) However, not everyone believes how I do. I have chosen not to use this blog to pontificate my beliefs nor to dispute your thoughts about me. If you don't like what I have to say, then its really quite simple...don't read this blog.


So with that preface,  I will continue to share more of my thoughts about human choices... Why do we choose the things we do?


Like, when you go into a bathroom with two rows of stalls. Which stall do you choose? The first one? The last one? The middle one on the left? Do you make a conscious choice or not? And, why do you pick that one? Or, pulling into a parking lot at the grocery store... Is your car up front or in the back of the lot? Or the first available spot that you can find?

When you fold laundry are your socks rolled into balls, one tucked into the other flat, or kept separate? Why? Do you have a sock basket for the single stray socks or do you toss the ones you can't find mates to?

How about this: Why does one procrastinate? There is nothing beneficial about procrastination, but it happens to most everyone on a daily basis. Why do we make choices like this? I can think of at least 5 things right now that I should have done yesterday...



And let's talk about beauty. Who defines what beautiful is? Society through advertisements? What my parents and siblings taught me? My peers? When you look in the mirror, do you see how divinely beautiful you are? Or the supposed "flaws"? My guess, because it is usually this way for me, is that It is the"flaws" that win out.. But why is it so hard to look past the wrinkles and funky hair to see the beauty that God created? Why do most people believe beauty is on the outside when really, its what is on the inside? So, when exactly were the definitions of beauty laid in my subconscious? The day I received my first Barbie?


And let's talk about our habits like smoking, excessive drinking and drugs. The choice to poison your body is met with flabbergastment when the body begins to break down. It's pretty universally known that a car without oil breaks down, but our bodies need that same tender loving care too. Why does one make these choices? (And no, I am not smoking, drinking excessively or doing drugs... So don't read more into his comment than was intended!) I really just wonder why we do the things we do.... 


And on that note, why does one read more into comments than was ever intended!?!



These are a few of the bizarrely random thoughts that I occasionally ponder... I'm just curious to understand the "why's" of life. 


I even wonder why you read my blog... :O)


-Cheryl


No comments:

Post a Comment