Why "Magellan's Ship"?

Why “Magellan’s Ship”?

Magellan explored many islands without opposition. The theory is that the natives did not attack Magellan as one would have expected them to do upon the arrival of his big ships with a bunch of strange looking creatures on them.

Why? The natives did not know what they were looking at – they had absolutely no point of reference. In fact, they were so taken by what they saw, they laid down their spears and brought their canoes ashore. Watching the big ship with huge billowing sales was so far from any experience they had previously had, that they were in awe, welcoming Magellan and his crew, and treating them like Gods.

It is with this “awe” that I chose to view my future. Join me on my journey… It’s going to be amazing!


Friday, August 26, 2011

Why Ask Why?


Do you ever read something and it sort of stays in your mind, tickling your thoughts to consider it on a deeper level? Sometimes, it's like a bad rash, requiring some attention before it will settle down and go away. Yet, sometimes, it's like the bud of a flower trying to burst open to spread it's fragrant beauty to each person that passes by. I am not sure yet where this nagging thought is taking me... so let's see...

I recently read from this book about how as little children we run around naked with no inhibitions and freely love others that we meet. Even the Bible talks about being like little children. Little kids have faith in the moment, and are not operating from any learned behaviors from society to fear others or to fear situations... They just Love.

The question raised, in this context, was about open marriages/relationships and if we truly embrace being and operating with the pure love and joy of the moment like a child does, then we should be free to love who we want how we want. 
If we truly understood the meaning of Love (as it was intended to be expressed), should not we be happy for our mate to be loving another person in what ever way brings them joy? Because their happiness should bring us joy. Why does the concept of my mate being intimate with another seem so difficult to accept? Are boundaries healthy or do they limit our ability to truly love others? There are at least 76 objections I could raise from my beliefs about what being in a committed relationship or marriage means to me to the hurts it could cause your mate to personal safety against sexually transmitted diseases. However, what it really comes down to is not so much whether I am for or against open marriages and/or relationships but WHY.


Why do I believe the way I do about this subject? What is MY truth? Am I against it because of what I have been taught from a more conservative upbringing? But if I have been taught this, is it really MY truth? What do I really think about this? Why do I only desire monogamy? Is this choice based out of fear? Or love? When I close my eyes, find the stillness within, what do I understand to be my truth.

If given the opportunity, would I run around naked in front of you? Would you run around naked in front of me?  If not, why? If you would, why?  




Why. It is such a good word! Do you ever really question your beliefs, actions and choices? Why do you believe the things you believe? Because someone told you to believe this or that? Because it is what society dictates? If yes, then why do you believe that? Are your actions and choices based out of fear? If they are, why? What's the worst that can happen if you raise questions and consider why your Truth is your Truth?  Freedom and Understanding about yourself!

One universal truth is that God (or God as you understand her to be) is for you, not against you. This is serious stuff. This is where faith comes from. This is the foundation of peace. You can trust in the goodness of the universe... So from this place of knowing the Creator of Life has your back, what do you believe? What do you believe about this and about everything else?



Close your eyes... Be still... Breathe deeply... Open your heart to yourself. Allow the questions to come. And wait for the answers to resonate in your soul. 


What is your Truth?

I hope these questions bring you a new level of enlightenment about yourself. Questioning and challenging myself in this way can certainly be entertaining, agitating and freeing. (However, yes, I still have my clothes on... for now.)

Regardless of which side of the coin your beliefs fall, it is good to remember that ones choices should always honor the love you have with your significant other. Because, really, it's all about the unashamed, unbridled passionate Love that little children share with others - however you choose to define and express it.

I realize this is kind of a controversial issue... So I would love to start a discussion. Your thoughts and comments are most welcome! There is no right or wrong answer, your Truth is yours to share freely here.



With My Love,
-Cheryl






No comments:

Post a Comment