Why "Magellan's Ship"?

Why “Magellan’s Ship”?

Magellan explored many islands without opposition. The theory is that the natives did not attack Magellan as one would have expected them to do upon the arrival of his big ships with a bunch of strange looking creatures on them.

Why? The natives did not know what they were looking at – they had absolutely no point of reference. In fact, they were so taken by what they saw, they laid down their spears and brought their canoes ashore. Watching the big ship with huge billowing sales was so far from any experience they had previously had, that they were in awe, welcoming Magellan and his crew, and treating them like Gods.

It is with this “awe” that I chose to view my future. Join me on my journey… It’s going to be amazing!


Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Question

OK, how cool is that to reconnect with your "crush" from 35 years ago on Facebook? I love Facebook and the way that it has brought connection with friends from the past!  Especially when I got the "Friend Request Accepted" from Peter.

Why would this one friend acceptance give me such a thrill?  But, it did!  How fun it was to peruse through his pictures, check out his "Information Page" and get to know that man that he had become through his posts.  There wasn't much direct communication between us, but I still enjoyed "checking him out"!

This man, Peter, was posting the most incredible pictures.... And, THAT is my weakness.  I love taking pictures... capturing those moments in time, the emotion or feelings that arise when you see something.  He is totally skilled at catching the best pictures!  I enjoyed so much seeing his latest picture posts...

We shared a few Fb emails, especially when we both had family that passed away.  What kind and compassionate words he shared with me...  What was this?  A man who could capture a picture that spoke 1000 words and speak from the heart?  I was intrigued...

Being the gal that I am, I had to ask for some technical help along the way... such as "How do you hang a rope swing?" and "WHY did the cement for the tether ball not set up? I mixed it like I was instructed to... The instructions did not say to NOT to let it sit in the rain."  He was kind enough not to laugh at me, and kindly give me some tips on how to help the cement set up.  The days rolled by... casual conversations posted back and forth... until the day in early December when the IM came that said, "Are you going to be in town for the holidays?"

Am I going to be in town for the holidays?!?  Yes, but I wasn't picking up what he was putting down.  I replied, "Yeah.  What are your plans?"  NEVER had a clue what was coming....

"Well I am flying into Seattle on the 23rd, we should hang out!"

This boy from my past... the one I was so infatuated with as a young gal, wanted to hang out!  C'mon!  I was so excited!  So, of course, I responded with... "Seriously? Yes!"

The ship was sailing closer.... and boy what a ship was coming my way!

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment