Why "Magellan's Ship"?

Why “Magellan’s Ship”?

Magellan explored many islands without opposition. The theory is that the natives did not attack Magellan as one would have expected them to do upon the arrival of his big ships with a bunch of strange looking creatures on them.

Why? The natives did not know what they were looking at – they had absolutely no point of reference. In fact, they were so taken by what they saw, they laid down their spears and brought their canoes ashore. Watching the big ship with huge billowing sales was so far from any experience they had previously had, that they were in awe, welcoming Magellan and his crew, and treating them like Gods.

It is with this “awe” that I chose to view my future. Join me on my journey… It’s going to be amazing!


Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tearing Down Walls and Building Bridges

Well, what do you think he decided?  YIPPY FOR ME!  He thought it was a great idea to stay for a couple of more days so we could hang out together and said he would check with the airlines the next day to see what it would cost to change his flight... Did I mention yet that I was saying some very selfish prayers that his flight could be changed?  Well, not only did the airlines change the flight but they did not charge him for the schedule change!  There are no coincidences in life.  None.  We were meant to be able to spend this time together!

Friday morning, I awoke to hearing The Whisper impressing upon me that this weekend would be a time of Tearing Down Walls and Building Bridges.  Thoughts swirled through my mind, pondering this statement as I dressed and packed up the car, preparing to pick Peter up in Seattle on our way down to Herron Island.  Opening the door to Possibility of Love can be overwhelming, as well as extremely frightening... It would have been so safe to turn the car back around and not go.  Every wall built around my heart was about to be challenged in ways that I didn't know if I was prepared to face...  Safe is comfortable, you know.  Safe is... safe.  However, when I saw him face to face, his embrace washed away the fears that were creeping in... and peace reigned, wrapped in gentle laughter.  I knew it was going to be a great weekend!  And so our Second Grand Adventure began...

Herron Island is only accessible by a private ferry ride.  And, it is vitally important you you obey the ferry rules, whether or not you know them or not.  Believe me, there are consequences for not following the rules... If you start your car before they tell you that you can, then you get "the look" and your consequence is that you are last off the ferry.Yes, as a matter of fact - we DID get "the look"... and yes, as a matter of fact, we were the last ones let off the ferry.  They did let us back off the island though...

Now, the weekend was ALL THAT and a box of chocolates (probably the chocolate covered cashews kind of chocolates, if I got to choose...)  Details?  Well, there was a lot of laughter, talking, cooking together and walks around the island and taking pictures. We listened to music, drank some wine, played games and watched movies and talked endlessly about our hopes, desires and dreams.  Basically, we connected on every level - mental, emotional, physical and spiritual.  And I was enthralled!

I felt the boulders securing the walls around my heart begin to break loose as this man was able to find his way into my mind, thoughts and
eventually enter the heart arena.  I didn't realize how closely I guarded my heart until I look back at that weekend and all that transpired.

Every human being seeks out what is comfortable; it is a normal human response to any circumstance. I was walking so far outside of my comfort zone... but so at PEACE with him.  My insides were at such conflict with each other:  the raging of heart vs. mind.  He was so different than any man I had known...

Seeking understanding of my thoughts and feelings, I asked the Father for guidance and understanding.  He responded with "Daughter, THIS is for you.  This IS what I intended for you!"  Could a relationship REALLY be THIS amazing?  The whole Magellan's Ship Syndrome was beginning to awaken within me...

I have heard somewhere that to be able to love well you have to be able to receive well.  So, accepting that THIS was real and believing in US was my new reality!   What?!  I had a boyfriend! 

Rock stacks are called "cairns" and is explained as "a pile of stones that is used as a boundary marker, a memorial, or a burial site. Cairns are usually conical in shape and were often erected on high ground." 

We left behind two cairns that day on the beach near the ferry dock.  A marker of changed hearts.  A memorial to THE BEST DAYS EVER.  A tribute to the days to ahead...

-Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment